Key findings from scientific studies and several nationwide surveys conducted between 2008 and 2011 indicate the following:
- The overwhelming majority (>90%) of maxillary molars have at least 4 root canal systems (Kulild & Peters, 1990; Stropko, 1999).
- Happy patients are more loyal to their dentist as evidenced by more repeat visits and stronger patterns of referring family and friends.
- 80% of American adults fear the dentist.
- Root canal treatment is the most feared dental procedure.
- When a dentist refers a patient to an endodontist, 90% of those patients end up satisfied.
- Endodontic treatment is significantly more successful when performed by an endodontist.
- 87% of dentists reported the work performed by endodontists was worth the cost (this includes areas where initial molar endodontic treatment costs $1300 – $1700).
- The average dentist refers about 50% of patients who need endodontic treatment to an endodontist.
- One out of four dentists refer more than 90% of patients who need endodontic treatment to an endodontist.